Saturday, January 17, 2015

Blog #1

I have been told by several students here at South that EDM 310 is the hardest, most intimidating class that they have ever taken!  To be incredibly honest, I was terrified to take this course.  I was told that the instructor didn't really give very much feed back and that you had to spend every single extra second you have and devote it to this class.  I have also heard that the worry you will carry in this class is incredibly stressful due to the fact that you will not know what your grade is until final grades are posted.
computer stress
I feared all of these things that I have been told were going to be true!  That WAS my fear!  However, I think that I will be perfectly fine in this course.  I think that it is like any other course in that in order to get a perfect mark, you MUST put in the time required to maintain your duties and requirements.  I feel that my age has something to do with the way I feel now.  I have already spent the majority of my life working as a career woman and know that you have to be professional and diligent in your work.  This class will be very hard work, but in the end I will be more proficient and knowledgeable in this expanding world of technology!
I have taken several courses that were online.  I think that this course has an added benefit for all of us in that we are afforded the use of several lab assistants and instructors to assist us on our way through this course.  I felt one of my first classes was basically me teaching myself with little instruction from my actual instructor.  In reality, I know now, it was simply me not being as familiar with some of the software I had to use.  I am excited about the opportunity to learn more about this growing world of technology!
I think the most difficult thing for me will be overdoing it on my blogs.  I tend to get long-winded at times.  I have always wanted to start a blog so this will be great for my confidence.  I also am a bit concerned about making sure I put in enough time with this course each week.  I have four total education courses this term and they are all going to demand every second of my time.  I am nervous that I will neglect one or another at some point and drop the proverbial ball.
I think that the only way for me to address my "most difficult" aspect is simply time management.  I will just have to really stick to a tight schedule every week!  It is all about dedication and determination and I have both!
I have questions but so far they have all been answered during class times and here in the syllabus.   I think that I am more interested than concerned about working with other teachers and students from another part of the country or world.  I am excited but also nervous that we will not mesh well together or that we will not understand one another.  I don't mean linguistically.  I am referring to being on the same idea path or just simply not like me.  I will, of course, find a way to work with that person or student in a way that suits us both.  That is just something I am nervous about.

3 comments:

  1. I am impressed with both your evolving attitude toward this course and by what you hope to accomplish as a student in this course. As you progress in this course, please be mindful that everyone involved in the administration of this course is here to help you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr. Lomax! I am eager to learn as much from this course as I possibly can and take that knowledge to my future students and fellow educators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entering into the class I felt the same exact way. I'm really not a computer person. I usually get on do what I have to do and get off. I understand how you feel about the time management. I work two jobs and I'm taking five classes this semester that all have some kind of computer work involved in them.

    ReplyDelete